What's the Point? Collinear v. Coplanar

I could not recall a time where I learned about collinear or coplanar points and what they represent. I wasn't familiar with this concept, so I knew I would have to do a little more research to learn more about it. I found a really great video that broke down collinear and coplanar points down for me. What are Collinear and Coplanar Points?. I like that this video provided me with lots of examples of both collinear points and coplanar points.

Here are basic definitions of collinear and coplanar points:

Collinear Points: When three or more points lie on the same line

Coplanar Points: When three or more points lie in the same plane.


If you look at this figure above we can name a few points that are collinear and that are also coplanar. 

Collinear Points: A, P, C are collinear points because they all fall on the same line. 
D, P, B are also collinear. 

Coplanar Points: B, C, A, D are coplanar points because they all fall under the same plane. 
P, A, C, D are also coplanar. 

I thought this figure and video really helped me understand the definition of collinear and coplanar points and how to identify them. 

I found a great activity for students to complete that would help them understand collinear and coplanar points even more. Collinear and Coplanar Digital Activity. I think this is a great activity that's amazing for younger kids and would really help them develop an understanding for this topic. 
I hope this post helped anyone who was struggling with collinear and coplanar points. Thanks for reading!
-Brianna😊



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Possible and Impossible...

Getting a Grasp on Graphs